Friday, July 30, 2010

Are you kidding me? The shoes arrived...

Yikes! The last few weeks have been busy; what with Jack and Jills, shoes arriving, dress fittings, photographers to meet, wedding cake to prepare, rehearsal dinners to be double booked, and colds to nurse (never mind a little thing called work!); time has been zipping by. However, in my usual fashion I am going to start at the beginning and describe what happened with my wedding shoes (I can’t work out of chronological order).

Now when we last left off (our adventurous crew was stranded on the island and the Skipper and Ginger and just come up with idea number 456 to get them rescued – open a Rogers store and sell iPhones (people will come apparently - you were right Shoeless Joe Jackson))... okay sorry got distracted, let me try again...

Now when we last left off, I was eagerly awaiting the arrival of two things, the first being my dear friend from Alabama (Mary), and the second being my wedding shoes. Both were scheduled to arrive together on July 14th. In a surprising turn of events the first “item” (Mary) managed to arrive in the country without being tied up in customs for three decades, the plane filling with smoke, or nearly inciting an international incident (love you Mary!). Granted she did get stranded on the tarmac and it took a little while for her to meet up with my parents, but eventually she did, so all and all a successful flight. Plus her arrival kicked off the start of "Jack and Jill" week! However, today's post is going to focus on the arrival of my beautiful wedding shoes... so I am going to try not get distracted by fun topics like how great the Jack and Jill for Brandon and I was...

Focus Marie! Shoes!

While I am not like Cinderella and have a fetish for glass slippers I was looking for something comfortable that would allow me to dance (and walk!) into the wee hours of the morning without my feet turning into pumpkins (could you imagine?), hence my search and discovery of a great pair of shoes from Zappos. I had them shipped to Mary and she delivered them to my excited hands. Therefore when I returned from work and once hugs (etc...) were exchanged the shoe box was immediately presented and I opened the lid to discover a pair of shoes that were FANTASTIC... I was thrilled! They were exactly what I had ordered and exactly what I had wanted. However, like all best laid plans… as I was turning them over and examining them, I proceeded to remove the stuffing filling the shoe and looked inside, and what to my wondering eyes should appear but a worn-out heel and five black toe prints. Ummm... did I order used shoes?

My shoes looked brand new on the outside, but on the inside looked like they had been through a battle zone... aka another bride's wedding... hmpf (what is it they say about inner beauty?). I pointed the DARK BLACK DIRTY toe prints out to my crew of onlookers (man how these people put up with me is another topic) and they too looked on with shock. Considering I paid full price for NEW shoes one would assume that is what I would receive – silly me! 

Blah! So typical... I am beginning to think that my life is a little like a 1/2 hour sitcom (with the occasional insertion of hour long drama to mix things up). Hence the title for this blog: Off Kilter.

The weird thing about the shoes was that the bottom of the shoe looked brand new, however I have since been informed by my former model friend Elizabeth that a trick of the fashion industry is to put duck tape on the bottom of the shoe to protect it and ensure it keeps a sparkly new look... grief.

Therefore I had to call and ask Zappos "what the heck?". I did manage to get someone that only somewhat sounded frustrated with my call and after MUCH discussion and debate the value of the shoes is being refunded (Mary had to mail them back when she returned to Alabama - Mary have I mentioned how great you are?) and I am getting a credit, which is great as I am Scottish (READ: Cheap). I have been sworn to up and down, and from every other direction that the "great shoe-tastrophe" will not happen again and that the next pair I receive will be brand new... we'll see... I am now REALLY anxious about the situation, however time is a ticking, the shoes were bang on (minus the toe prints…), and what else do I have to loose? (oh right, personal hygiene if the shoes are used again when I receive the next pair, hmpf!).

So that is where I am on the shoe front... I will keep everyone posted, but at this stage I am thinking of cobbling my own pair; it might just be easier! 50 days everyone! GULP!

No comments:

Post a Comment